www. O S N E W S .com
News Features Interviews
BlogContact Editorials
.
"The best phone you can buy right now"
By Thom Holwerda on 2017-08-07 20:29:35

The Verge does this thing where they list what they consider to be the best laptop or phone or whatever, and they state the Samsung Galaxy S8 is the best phone for most people.

Samsung's Galaxy S8/S8 Plus is the best phone for most people. It's available across all four US carriers and unlocked. It has the best display on any smartphone right now, a head-turning, premium design, a top-of-the-line camera, reliable battery life, and fast performance. Thanks to Samsung's popularity and the support of all four carriers, the S8 also has plenty of accessories, from cases to battery packs to wireless chargers, available to it.

You can definitely make a case for the S8 being the best phone for most people, but personally, I still consider the iPhone to be the best, safest choice for most non-geeky people. Personally, I prefer Android, and for my personal use, iOS on the iPhone is an exercise in frustration - but iOS provides a more consistent, all-around phone experience that remains fairly static from phone to phone, it's a little simpler to grasp than Android, and Apple has an excellent support system in many countries that's far better than Samsung's hands-off let-the-reseller-handle-it approach.

I wonder - what do any of you consider the best phone for most people? If one of your non-geeky family members seeks your advice, which phone do you suggest they get?

The Verge named the Surface Laptop the best laptop, which I find a baffling choice. It's new and unproven, so we have no idea how it'll hold up over the next few years. An odd choice for sure.

 Email a friend - Printer friendly - Related stories
.
Read Comments: 1-10 -- 11-20 -- 21-30 -- 31-40 -- 41-50 -- 51-60 -- 61-70 -- 71-80 -- 81-90 -- 91-100 -- 101-110 -- 111-120 -- 121-130 -- 131-131
.
RE[5]: best for "most"??
By Bill Shooter of Bul on 2017-08-09 14:10:23
What phone lasts 6 years today? Even a six year old iphone is a Iphone 4s. It got its last software os update a year ago, so not far off. But it was really pretty terrible performance with IOS after ios 7. A friend of mine had it until maybe ios 8 came out.

So maybe an iphone if you really don't care if your phone runs like molasses the last three years.
Permalink - Score: 2
.
RE[2]: Comment by Sidux
By daveak on 2017-08-09 14:15:59
> You are assuming that everybody lives in the USA and has unlimited 4G data.

The Apple ecosystem is a frickin' nightmare in countries like Australia where small data plans are the norm. The constant updates and stupid iTunes syncing costs a fortune.


If it is too expensive to sync content over cellular, don't turn that on, just perform updates when you are on wifi, or get your updates by actually syncing with iTunes on a computer.
Permalink - Score: 2
.
RE[6]: best for "most"??
By Alfman on 2017-08-09 14:43:26
Bill Shooter of Bul,

> What phone lasts 6 years today? Even a six year old iphone is a Iphone 4s. It got its last software os update a year ago, so not far off. But it was really pretty terrible performance with IOS after ios 7. A friend of mine had it until maybe ios 8 came out.

So maybe an iphone if you really don't care if your phone runs like molasses the last three years.


There were allegations back then that apple slowed down the phones deliberately to encourage users to buy newer phones. I don't know if that's true, but most of us who are looking for updates aren't looking for new features, just security and bug fixes.

I kept my old nokia for the better part of a decade because it just worked. I only replaced it with an android when the battery was dying. I'd prefer to keep my android phone for a long time too, it's "only" two years old, but already I'm feeling pressure to throw it away because of bugs and security issues that aren't getting fixed. I absolutely hate having to throw away perfectly good hardware, but the problem is that the bad software situation coerces users to upgrade more often than we want to. And the manufactures have negative incentives to fix it since they sell more phones this way :(

Edited 2017-08-09 14:44 UTC
Permalink - Score: 2
.
RE[7]: best for "most"??
By Bill Shooter of Bul on 2017-08-09 14:46:42
Agreed X 1000. I think at this point my security paranoia trumps budget.
Permalink - Score: 2
.
RE[6]: Apple == expensive
By Kochise on 2017-08-09 15:22:58
Yes and no. Because the firmware gets stuck at 4.0.3 on Evo3D, you get limited to the API revision. Yet Google managed to decorrelate the API from the Google services, and now apps like Uber mostly follows what the services revision is. If you are lucky, that's good enough.

Btw I don't use Uber so I can still use my old phone. Some free sarcasm for you as food for thought.
Permalink - Score: 2
.
RE[5]: Apple == expensive
By Bill Shooter of Bul on 2017-08-09 18:59:35
Maybe I'm just the odd ball that cares about security, but that thing is an invitation to powernship.

You're vulnerable to all of these listed here:
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulner...
Permalink - Score: 2
.
RE[2]: iPhone is the best phone for me
By torp on 2017-08-09 19:31:29
> The Apple ecosystem is the most overrated nonsense in the tech space. Apple's web services are so lacking it baffles me people actually consider it an advantage. Slap a high price tag on it and the sheep automatically think it's premium. Amazing. Bless you.

Apple doesn't know shit about web services. Just ignore them and sync your contacts with Google. And I say that as a convinced iPhone owner.

Basically, for anything Apple, the hardware and the base OS is fine; for online services go somewhere else.
Permalink - Score: 3
.
RE[3]: iPhone is the best phone for me
By dcdevito on 2017-08-10 00:22:12
Yes. I agree with you wholeheartedly. Apple hardware is top notch.
Permalink - Score: 1
.
RE[2]: iPhone
By lancealot on 2017-08-10 01:47:16
> > However, my personal phone is an iPhone because I simply cannot be bothered to do maintenance on my phone like you need to do on a Windows install. Sorry, but Android is very similar to Windows in stability and problems, and not to Linux.
Weird that you say that, because my experience with Windows vs. Linux was completely opposite: with Linux, you're always banging your head against the wall when something very basic (audio, video, you name it) either does not work or breaks for no reason. Or if you want to install something just to find out that "something" needs 17 dependencies, and 9 of those 17 dependencies must be of a particular version/flavor/etc., and that particular version/flavor/etc. can no longer be found in your default repos. I consider you to be a masochist if you enjoy using Linux.
With Windows, however, everything just works... And it's rock-solid, stable, completely maintenance-free. I cannot remember a single thing I would do for maintenance on my Windows computers (non-server versions, that is).


In my past experience (many years ago) with Linux being my main "Desktop" OS I would have to agree. Once I grew tired of dealing with all you mention but still liked the Linux/Unix environment, I went to Mac OS X. The last couple of versions of Mac OS X has gotten so bad (been going downhill since Snow Leopard) I eventually went Windows 7, and now Windows 10. I feel Windows 7/10 have been very stable and fast if you are using reliable drivers. In my testing doing the same work flow (using the same apps in similar ways on a dual book Macbook), I found Windows 10 to be faster then Mac OS X, and just as reliable (if not more). So currently I use Windows 10 on my Macbook and couldn't be happier with the speed and stability of it, and I keep it on deferred upgrades to minimize the times I am forced to reboot to apply updates. So I agree with this quoted comment for sure.
Permalink - Score: 1
.
RE[6]: Apple == expensive
By CATs on 2017-08-10 06:30:49
> Maybe I'm just the odd ball that cares about security, but that thing is an invitation to powernship.

You're vulnerable to all of these listed here:
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulner...
And that is how planned obsolescence is now enforced on users using just software. No one cares if your old device works perfectly... You WILL buy new one! Or else!..
Permalink - Score: 1

Read Comments 1-10 -- 11-20 -- 21-30 -- 31-40 -- 41-50 -- 51-60 -- 61-70 -- 71-80 -- 81-90 -- 91-100 -- 101-110 -- 111-120 -- 121-130 -- 131-131

No new comments are allowed for stories older than 10 days.
This story is now archived.

.
News Features Interviews
BlogContact Editorials
.
WAP site - RSS feed
© OSNews LLC 1997-2007. All Rights Reserved.
The readers' comments are owned and a responsibility of whoever posted them.
Prefer the desktop version of OSNews?