www. O S N E W S .com
News Features Interviews
BlogContact Editorials
Lenovo's 25th anniversary ThinkPad is here
By Thom Holwerda on 2017-10-05 22:37:52

A couple years ago, Lenovo announced its plans to build a "retro" ThinkPad that would resurrect design elements of ThinkPads past as an homage to the brand's long history.

That ThinkPad is now real. Check out the ThinkPad 25, sold to commemorate 25 years of ThinkPads.

I'm just going to leave this here for you lovely ThinkPad people. This isn't for me, but I'm not here to ruin your party.

Do clean up after yourselves.

Email a friend - Printer friendly - Related stories
Read Comments: 1-10 -- 11-20 -- 21-30 -- 31-40 -- 41-50 -- 51-56
Comment by judgen
By judgen on 2017-10-05 23:31:06
Save space. Remove touchpad.
Permalink - Score: 2
Comment by Flatland_Spider
By Flatland_Spider on 2017-10-06 00:26:38
4:3 and hires please.
Permalink - Score: 1
RE: Comment by judgen
By iampivot on 2017-10-06 01:39:23
Agree, a retro thinkpad should not have the touchpad.

Myself though I would love a thinkpad with only the touchpad. It would be ideal if you could order one with one or the other, not both at the same time.
Permalink - Score: 0
RE: Comment by judgen
By BlueofRainbow on 2017-10-06 03:50:22
I also concur, this 25th anniversary edition should not have a touchpad. The touchpad often gets in the way of resting ones' thumb on the palm rest when using the trackpoint.

A 4:3 screen would have been more "retro". However, web content is increasingly optimized for a widescreen format so probably better this way.
Permalink - Score: 2
RE[2]: Comment by judgen
By leech on 2017-10-06 04:47:00
Yeah, we have the 'clit' so why would we want the touchpad! Frankly, I hate touchpads. Every single one. "Try the Apple one" They say. Nope, still sucks.

Now I do use a Logitech T650 on my Atari Falcon, which is brilliant, mainly because 1) Ball mice suck. 2) Atari mouse has always been.. uniquely clicky. 3) no space for another mouse on my desktop, so makes it easy to use my Falcon.
Permalink - Score: 1
Comment by joekiser
By joekiser on 2017-10-06 05:43:17
Meh. It's not what anybody wanted, but it's not _that_ bad. People are knocking the display but they forget the dark ages of low-resolution TN panels just a few years ago. It will be sold out by this time next week because it's manufactured in the same quantity as a 1993 Cobra. Resale value will be low because there will be no spare keyboards or palmrests available.

Fortunately, there are plenty of options for people who want a true retro machine. Final generation 4:3 ThinkPads are still usable for casual browsing. Later *20's can be retrofitted with a FHD IPS display. For more horsepower a drop-in replacement Broadwell++ motherboard (for the T60/X61) can be purchased from 51nb.

Typed on my P70, a great machine in its own right. Lenovo is a follower, but I'm over it.
Permalink - Score: 3
Comment by KKK.
By KKK. on 2017-10-06 06:45:38
I do not believe Lenovo is capable of building a computer that would be worthy to hold a candle to IBM ThinkPads of the past.
And from the looks of it, this "retro" ThinkPad seems like recent "Nokia 3310 reborn", which is a complete and utter crap, plus horribly overpriced.
Permalink - Score: -1
Time to contemplate
By ThomasFuhringer on 2017-10-06 08:04:41
Another moment that makes me think: Considering what I could do with a ThinkPad 25 years ago and how little more we do with a machine that packs probably a fifty times or more the hardware resources today, something went seriously wrong with the software part of it. While I admire the early creators of Windows for what they managed to eke out of the hardware of those days, the people working on Windows and the applications on it in the last two decades did a miserable job, to me.
A Raspberry Pi Zero already has a number of times the hardware specs of an early ThinkPad and should be enough to run a modern desktop.
Permalink - Score: 0
RE: Comment by KKK.
By mieses on 2017-10-06 08:13:23
Username KKK.. Lenovo psyop? Nonetheless you are right. Thinkpad is over. These are plastic dell/macbooks.
Permalink - Score: -1
RE: Time to contemplate
By Sidux on 2017-10-06 10:45:02
You can do quite a bunch more stuff now..
Technology and software is there.
The fact that it has no reason of investment for the casual user is another discussion.
Permalink - Score: 4

Read Comments 1-10 -- 11-20 -- 21-30 -- 31-40 -- 41-50 -- 51-56

No new comments are allowed for stories older than 10 days.
This story is now archived.

News Features Interviews
BlogContact Editorials
WAP site - RSS feed
© OSNews LLC 1997-2007. All Rights Reserved.
The readers' comments are owned and a responsibility of whoever posted them.
Prefer the desktop version of OSNews?