www. O S N E W S .com
News Features Interviews
BlogContact Editorials
.
Microsoft finally admits Windows Phone is dead
By Thom Holwerda on 2017-10-09 19:44:19

In a series of tweets, Microsoft's Joe Belfiore has revealed that the software giant is no longer developing new features or hardware for Windows 10 Mobile. While Windows Phone fans had hoped Microsoft would update the platform with new features, it's now clear the operating system has been placed into servicing mode, with just bug fixes and security updates for existing users.

I was a first adopter of Windows Phone 7 - so much so I imported a device from the US during launch week. It was an amazing operating system to use, and I loved it. Soon, however, it became clear Microsoft was unable to attract developers to the platform, and even those applications that did make it weren't particularly good - not even the ones written by Microsoft itself, which were often simple HTML-based apps, which simply weren't good advocates for the platform. As a Windows Phone user, you were always scraping the very bottom of the barrel when it came to applications.

To make matters worse, the move to Windows NT with Windows Phone 8 was a disaster. Existing phones weren't updated, and instead, only got an entirely pointless Windows Phone 7.8 update. This didn't do anything to enamour users to the platform, which makes it all the more weird when Microsoft did it again when Windows Phone 10 was released. In any event, Windows Phone 8 did mature over its short lifetime, gaining many features other platforms had had for ages. Sadly, the application situation never improved, and to this day, the Windows Store is a ghost town.

It really sucks that Windows Phone became a victim of blatant mismanagement and market forces, because I still love the operating system and its unique UI. One day, I'll have to sit down and write the counterpart to my Palm retrospective, covering the entire PocketPC/Windows Mobile/Windows Phone era.

It's been a wild ride.

 Email a friend - Printer friendly - Related stories
.
Read Comments: 1-10 -- 11-20 -- 21-30 -- 31-40 -- 41-50 -- 51-60 -- 61-66
.
RE[2]: Comment by Drumhellar
By zima on 2017-10-12 12:19:46
> let's not pretend that sales people in phone shops were telling customers "Buy this 'phone now and it'll be obsolete with no upgrade path in 6 months time!" Lots of people bought Windows 7 phones without knowing, or caring
Somehow this doesn't hurt Android phones...

Edited 2017-10-12 12:20 UTC
Permalink - Score: 4
.
RE[4]: Comment by Drumhellar
By moondevil on 2017-10-12 12:28:41
Nice that you have enough budget to buy flagship phones.

The majority of people across the globe don't have it.


https://developer.android.com/abo...
Permalink - Score: 3
.
RE[5]: Comment by Drumhellar
By darknexus on 2017-10-12 15:20:08
> Nice that you have enough budget to buy flagship phones.

The majority of people across the globe don't have it.

And...? What's your point? Some people can afford to buy a private aircraft. I can't. Should I be pissed off because someone's done well? If you want a flagship phone that badly and can't afford it, either save up for one or, even better, maybe you don't need that flagship phone at all and should have other priorities.
Permalink - Score: 2
.
Its a real shame..
By bassbeast on 2017-10-12 20:19:07
Windows Phones are really solid and have a nice UI, in fact I'd have no problem recommending a Microsoft 640 like my wife has if you don't need a ton of apps. The call quality is solid, Cortana works really well,takes good pictures, its just a nice solid phone.

They are gonna support the Windows 10 phones until 2019 and the apps that are in the store aren't gonna be going anywhere because it costs them nothing to keep them up so if you spot one cheap? They really aren't bad phones.
Permalink - Score: 2
.
RE[2]: Lack of Commitement
By kurkosdr on 2017-10-12 21:07:38
> No one really needs "moar appz!" on the phone. Give me 20-30 really good, quality apps and that will be all I will ever need on a phone.

Aaah... the "90%" illusion, also known as the "that alternative OS has "90%" of all the apps you need so it should be good enough" illusion.

The problem is that there is always "that one app" a user really wants and can't get it. And it is different for each user. Be it some sport/fitness app (like Strava which my dad uses), some social networking app like the Instagram app (or some feature of the Instragram app), some local banking app, some local meetup app, some local public transport app, some local university app, that handy app which finds cheap LPG gas stations in your country, etcetera. And I didn't even have to mention games.

So, between comparable products, no customer who wants these things is going to compromise for little or no benefit and buy a comparable product running "that alternative OS".

Microsoft should have resolved the app situation no matter what: Dumping phones at cost, make Windows Phone run Android apps (even at a source-compatibility level without play services), you name it. The reason Microsoft is what it is today is because MS-DOS was compatible with CP/M apps but was cheaper.

Edited 2017-10-12 21:23 UTC
Permalink - Score: 2
.
RE[6]: Comment by Drumhellar
By moondevil on 2017-10-13 06:43:22
The point was the remark made by kurkosdr.

> In the post-iPhone world, nobody wants to buy a flagship smartphone that doesn't get any major upgrades ever, if anything at least for the resale value and the physiological aspect of it.

As if everyone had the money for doing it.
Permalink - Score: 2
.
RE[3]: Lack of Commitement
By x86_x64 on 2017-10-13 07:56:18
I don't get your point. You do realize the sheer amount of apps does not guarantee you will find "that one app", right? There was a point in BlackBerry history some years ago when their AppStore had quite a huge amount of apps, but it was still useless, since that huge amount was mostly crap, and STILL lacked the most important stuff.
Permalink - Score: 1
.
RE[4]: Lack of Commitement
By kurkosdr on 2017-10-13 10:12:54
> I don't get your point. You do realize the sheer amount of apps does not guarantee you will find "that one app", right?

Aww, cut the drivel. You know Android and iOS appserv stores are bigger and better than the Windows Phone store. All the kinds of apps I mentioned in my previous post are more likely to be found on Android and iOS stores than the Windows store.

You know that nobody forces you to argue for the sake of arguing, right?

Edited 2017-10-13 10:14 UTC
Permalink - Score: 2
.
RE[5]: Lack of Commitement
By x86_x64 on 2017-10-13 12:11:01
> Aww, cut the drivel. You know Android and iOS appserv stores are bigger and better than the Windows Phone store. All the kinds of apps I mentioned in my previous post are more likely to be found on Android and iOS stores than the Windows store.
Bullshit.

> You know that nobody forces you to argue for the sake of arguing, right?
So why are YOU doing it?
Permalink - Score: 1
.
Windows 10
By codewrangler on 2017-10-13 17:06:03
This just means that they won't be calling it 'Windows 10 mobile'. My guess is that they will make phone hardware that is actually Windows 10...plain and simple.
Permalink - Score: 1

Read Comments 1-10 -- 11-20 -- 21-30 -- 31-40 -- 41-50 -- 51-60 -- 61-66

No new comments are allowed for stories older than 10 days.
This story is now archived.

.
News Features Interviews
BlogContact Editorials
.
WAP site - RSS feed
© OSNews LLC 1997-2007. All Rights Reserved.
The readers' comments are owned and a responsibility of whoever posted them.
Prefer the desktop version of OSNews?