www. O S N E W S .com
News Features Interviews
BlogContact Editorials
KDE Plasma 5.11 released
By Thom Holwerda, submitted by JRepin on 2017-10-10 23:49:28

Today KDE publishes this autumn's Plasma feature release, KDE Plasma 5.11. Plasma 5.11 brings a redesigned settings app, improved notifications, a more powerful task manager. Plasma 5.11 is the first release to contain the new "Vault", a system to allow the user to encrypt and open sets of documents in a secure and user-friendly way, making Plasma an excellent choice for people dealing with private and confidential information.

This screenshot of the new Vault feature with a selection in a selection because you like selections is just so KDE - and I mean that in a teasing, loving way.

Email a friend - Printer friendly - Related stories
Read Comments: 1-10 -- 11-20 -- 21-25
One app window, two monitors, two DPIs
By Parry on 2017-10-11 08:25:12
Microsoft could learn from this. One of the biggest complaints I get from our many Surface users is the DPI mess when using an external monitor.
Permalink - Score: 3
Comment by x86_x64
By x86_x64 on 2017-10-11 13:57:36
Permalink - Score: -1
Comment by Dr-ROX
By Dr-ROX on 2017-10-11 17:15:53
I have a feeling Linux desktop got stuck somewhere in 2012 and doesn't progress more. KDE hasn't changed that much design assets after v4 was released, Gnome shell also got stuck to that design when it was released. Unity was also stuck. So yeah.. Like, if I boot any of these desktop environments, I'm always thrown back few years back.
Permalink - Score: 3
RE: Comment by x86_x64
By leech on 2017-10-11 17:45:48
> All-flat, all-bland, all-boring. KDE always was, and as far as I can see still is, just a clone of Windows GUI. They're even following this all-flat trend MS started.

KDE 4 was released before Windows 7 and Windows 7 definitely looked more like KDE 4 did than Vista or other previous environments. What's your point?

Previous to KDE4 though, it's always been very Windows-Esque, which is why I've preferred Gnome. But hey, it's all in how you want to roll, choice is good.
Permalink - Score: 3
RE: Comment by Dr-ROX
By leech on 2017-10-11 17:48:16
Ha, not sure what you're referring to... it isn't like Windows has changed all that much since '95... it's just gotten ugly like everything else. The flat design is certainly terrible, I much prefer icons like Ken's Icons for the Amiga. http://www.amiga-look.org/artwor...
Permalink - Score: 3
RE: Comment by Dr-ROX
By Ford Prefect on 2017-10-11 21:14:41
The desktop is stuck in general, also on other platforms. I feel like most innovation on the GNU/Linux desktop happened in the realms of tiling window managers. Great stuff has come out there. However they stay in a niche.
Permalink - Score: 2
RE: Comment by Dr-ROX
By ThomasFuhringer on 2017-10-12 08:17:23
Personally I wish they would go back to the time before 2012, before 'flat design' to be precise. Using a computer was much more aesthetically pleasing at that time.
Permalink - Score: 2
RE[2]: Comment by x86_x64
By x86_x64 on 2017-10-12 10:24:17
What I mean, KDE does not bring anything new to the table. They don't even have their own distinct style, as compared to FluxBox, XFCE, WidowMaker, etc.
Permalink - Score: 2
RE[3]: Comment by x86_x64
By aaronb on 2017-10-12 10:53:34
What KDE brings to the table is that you can configure things to your needs if you want and that in its self is the KDE style.

There are going to be similarities between different desktops, but hey, if you want a desktop environment that operates solely by humming Morse code in Klingon simply find enough like minded people to make it happen...
Permalink - Score: 4
RE[4]: Comment by x86_x64
By x86_x64 on 2017-10-12 11:05:01
Maybe it's because I used KDE too long ago, but I didn't find in any more configurable than most other Linux DEs.
Permalink - Score: 3

Read Comments 1-10 -- 11-20 -- 21-25

No new comments are allowed for stories older than 10 days.
This story is now archived.

News Features Interviews
BlogContact Editorials
WAP site - RSS feed
© OSNews LLC 1997-2007. All Rights Reserved.
The readers' comments are owned and a responsibility of whoever posted them.
Prefer the desktop version of OSNews?