www. O S N E W S .com
News Features Interviews
BlogContact Editorials
.
Ubuntu 17.10: return of the GNOME
By special contributor Moochman on 2017-12-02 00:06:57

Ars Technica once again provides us with an in-depth Ubuntu review:

If you've been following the Linux world at all, you know this has been an entire year for spring cleaning. Early in 2017, Canonical stopped work on its homegrown Unity desktop, Mir display server, and its larger vision of 'convergence' - a unified interface for Ubuntu for phones, tablets, and desktops.

And now almost exactly six years after Ubuntu first switched from GNOME 2 to the Unity desktop, that has been dropped, too. The distro is back to GNOME, and Canonical recently released Ubuntu 17.10, a major update with some significant changes coming to the popular Ubuntu Linux operating system.

In light of the GNOME switch, this release seems like more of a homecoming than an entirely new voyage. But that said, Ubuntu 17.10 simultaneously feels very much like the start of a new voyage for Ubuntu.

 Email a friend - Printer friendly - Related stories
.
Read Comments: 1-10 -- 11-20 -- 21-30 -- 31-40 -- 41-50 -- 51-60 -- 61-68
.
RE[17]: No difference
By kwan_e on 2017-12-05 20:40:34
> Dated '20170725' but still missing from the latests releases as the 'const' bug remains. It's not like no one worked on it, but the effect of any correction so far remains to be seen IRL.

So? Your argument was that it's laziness. Laziness means no one is bothered working on it. The evidence shows you're wrong.

You lose.
Permalink - Score: 2
.
RE[18]: No difference
By Kochise on 2017-12-06 06:08:05
More than 8 years to do it, I call this laziness.
Permalink - Score: 2
.
RE[19]: No difference
By kwan_e on 2017-12-06 08:54:54
> More than 8 years to do it, I call this laziness.

If it was the only bug in the queue, then yes.

The bug was found in 4.4.0. GCC is now at 6, with many OTHER bugs fixed along the way.

Like I said, you lose, but you were never going to accept anything else other than your foregone conclusion.

You've already got no more legs to stand on. Keep exposing yourself as a hack if you want.
Permalink - Score: 2
.
RE[20]: No difference
By Kochise on 2017-12-06 09:03:06
And you keep excusing open source projects, even though my main grief was the slowness of fix, pretending no one works on GCC, or are incompetent, or bugzilla is ineffective to describe and track bugs, that shouldn't be there in the first place because open source, wada wada.

More than 8 fucking years to solve a tracked critical bug. Be it Microsoft to have showed such lightness on the subject, I'm pretty sure you've been of the ones going thermonuclear on them.

I'm fed up with FOSS pretending being the panacea to free the world from evil corporations and their nasty closed source software, yet incapable to keep up with steady yet simple quality check. That you keep failing to understand this simple fact just shows how much you are mentally dissonant. Just like your freetard brotherhood.
Permalink - Score: 2
.
RE[21]: No difference
By kwan_e on 2017-12-06 10:01:20
> I'm fed up with FOSS pretending being the panacea

Yes I know that's your agenda. That's why I understood no reason will ever be good enough for you. A bug open for eight years? Laziness. Oh, someone has actually been working on it? Still laziness. Any answer anyone could have been given and you won't accept it.

Because you're not interested in facts. You're just interested in pushing your talking point.

> And you keep excusing open source projects

No I'm not. I'm arguing this specific case which you won't ever accept any answer other than laziness.

> Just like your freetard brotherhood.

You lose.
Permalink - Score: 2
.
RE[22]: No difference
By Kochise on 2017-12-06 10:22:18
Not only it took more than 8 years for someone start taking considering the bug, but even though it looks like someone is working on it and submitted a patch in July, more than 4 months back and still not into the main branch ? Should I consider it included in 2020 ?

The bug resolution is so slow in the open source community, that is obviously so scarce in resources, than someone else opened a related bug more than 6 years after the first that is still officially unresolved and remaining open.

And yes, since you still haven't provided me with VALID reasons for not involving more resources into bug tracking and resolving, I'm not going to accept your petty remarks and snarky tags to keep avoiding addressing the main issues.
Permalink - Score: 2
.
RE[5]: No difference
By zima on 2017-12-07 00:05:30
> Windows on a Celeron
That's how vast majority of Celerons are used, and their owners are reasonably happy with it...
Permalink - Score: 2
.
RE[7]: No difference
By zima on 2017-12-07 00:20:57
Ahh yes, on that 192 (and at first - 64) MiB RAM & AMD Duron 600 MHz machine I had my first forays into ~alternative OS. IIRC Red Hat at first (back when it was free, though I suppose I kinda bought it - with a magazine; I only had access to metered by the minute 56k internet access, so downloading many OSes would be prohibitively expensive), which didn't turn out so great - my GFX card, Matrox Millenium G400, didn't (yet) have good open source X drivers ...so only small area of the desktop was displayed/scrolled, like when using a magnifier tool; IIRC it had something to do with X having access to only small part of GFX card memory.

OTOH, BeOS worked like a charm. :) Though there wasn't much I could do with it, since it was quite barebones (the free edition that installed to a file on a Windows partition; also came from a magazine :P ) ...but at least my Lucent Winmodem was supported, so I mostly browsed on it, oddly enough, ...SGI-related sites :P (still have to re-find some info from them, like for example something about a game where you control an abstract leafless tree with an SGI Indy camera). And it's possibly how I first stumbled on OSNews.
Permalink - Score: 2

Read Comments 1-10 -- 11-20 -- 21-30 -- 31-40 -- 41-50 -- 51-60 -- 61-68

There are 2 comment(s) below your current score threshold.

No new comments are allowed for stories older than 10 days.
This story is now archived.

.
News Features Interviews
BlogContact Editorials
.
WAP site - RSS feed
© OSNews LLC 1997-2007. All Rights Reserved.
The readers' comments are owned and a responsibility of whoever posted them.
Prefer the desktop version of OSNews?