|Samsung shows off its smartphone with foldable display|
|By Thom Holwerda on 2018-11-08 00:43:55|
At Samsung's Developer Conference earlier today, the company gave a short glimpse of its smartphone with foldable display.
Samsung's folding phone will actually have three screens - a large display that will unfold the phone into a small tablet, and a smaller display which sits on the outside of the phone for use in one-handed operation. Samsung calls this smaller screen the "cover display," and it definitely seems smaller than what you get on a modern, large-display smartphone. The idea is that since the "large" tablet display can only be used in the full-size mode, you'll need this secondary display for more day-to-day smartphone functions.
The demo device was inside a "black box" to disguise the actual industrial design, but that suggests this phone is getting pretty close to being done (also, the bezels won't be that large - it's deliberate obfuscation). Samsung says production of Infinity folding panels should be ready in the coming months, suggesting the phone could launch in the early part of next year.
Meanwhile, Google has announced that Android will support foldable displays, so that applications can seamlessly shrink and expand based on the state of the foldable display.
I love the technology that makes all this possible, but I think it'll take a few generations and iterating before these foldable displays truly become useful.
|Samsung vs Apple|
|By avgalen on 2018-11-08 07:21:15|
"I love the technology that makes all this possible, but I think it'll take a few generations and iterating before these foldable displays truly become useful." |
We all know it is going to take Samsung 3 to 4 iterations before
1) they can make this in large enough quantities so the price will be good enough for regular consumers to consider this
2) they have figured out a really good formfactor for this
3) OS and apps to really start using this
4) Marketing to convince us that we need this
6) Apple to introduce the iPhone XXf and revolutionize the mobile world with the(ir) first foldable "phone+"
7) Samsung to really start making money from all displays they sell to Apple
8) Everyone to comment online "Android was first, Apple was late to the game as always"
Edited 2018-11-08 07:22 UTC
|- Score: 3|
|Comment by ilovebeer|
|By ilovebeer on 2018-11-08 15:33:56|
|Am I the only one who doesn't care one single bit about foldable phones? Would these really serve a need or are they yet another solution to a non-existent problem?|
|- Score: 3|